The only reason why this story made the BBC news is the number of people killed in one incident. Hundreds die in an accumulation of smaller incidents every night in Africa.
And the reason is obvious… If 66% of the continent are lighting their houses with naked flames; or cooking on open fires – because that’s what you do if you live off-grid – then of course that’s what happens. In this tragedy, the cause was an open fire (for cooking) and a thatched roof.
Heya! is committed to bringing safe lighting and cooking solutions to rural Africa. At scale. And fast. And if we can help people to buy roofing made of safer materials, we’ll do that too.